Review the case study “Privatization,” on page 101 of Public Personnel Management. See attached word document.
• From the point of view of a consultant brought in to assess and recommended solutions, explain the conflict between
privatization and a staff model for the sanitation department.
• What recommendations would you make from your point of view as a consultant to resolve the situation?
• Support your points and recommendations with appropriately cited references to the texts and other academically sound
To successfully complete this learning unit, you will be expected to:
1. Identify the main models of service delivery in public organizations as shaped by position structuring and
2. Describe the transitions taking place within public service from the perspective of personnel management
3. Explore, from the perspective of contemporary human resources and public administration theory, the conflicting
motivations of privatization in public service.
Unit 3 – Models of Delivery of Services
In this unit, you will explore the three main models of service delivery used over the last two hundred years by the
government in the United States. You will explore the advantages and disadvantages of these models of service delivery.
As the staff model has given way to contract models, the ability to change, add, and delete programs has increased, but
the costs of service delivery have gone up. To battle these costs, a new model of supporting faith-based organizations
has emerged that reduces costs (Klingner, Nalbandian, & Llorens, 2010). You should evaluate features of these models for
use within you own organization.
You will discover that changing the status quo in delivery model can be very challenging and complex for a human
resources manager. Understanding both sides of the issues is critical in making the changes to add a new service and
staffing it with a new job design, such as you will do in your course project.
Klingner, D. E., Nalbandian, J., & Llorens, J. (2010). Public personnel management: Contexts and strategies (6th
Unit 3 Study 1- Readings
Use yourP ublic Personnel Management text to complete the following:
• Read Chapter 2, “Doing Public HRM in the United States.”
• Read Chapter 3, “Thinking Strategically About HRM.”
◦ The text will explore traditional assumptions in models of staffing for public service organizations and
challenges to these models. Pay particular attention to the four key recommendations for strategic
thinking about these models, and indicators that the model in use is right for the organization.
• In Chapter 4, “The HR Role in Policy, Budget, Performance Management, and Program Evaluation”:
◦ Read “Case Study #2, Privatization,” page 101.
The term “process flow” is used in your assignment in this unit. Use the following as a working definition:
• A description or visual representation of the organized sequential stages or steps necessary to complete a
procedure resulting in a product or service.
In other words, the process flow is a representation of the HR systems employed to define, fill, and manage a position.