, lawyers need to rely on case law to support the outcome they are asking the court take. Lawyers will often “brief” a case to obtain a better understanding of the case. In other words, lawyers will use a specific format to outline the most important points in a court’s decision. This activity will also assist you in understanding the cases discussed in this class.
• Listen to the oral arguments in the Olympic Airways v. Husain case. Read about the case.
• Read about how to brief a case.
• Using the template provided, complete a “brief” about the case, including the
o Who are the parties to the case?
o What is the citation of the case?
o What are the basic facts of the case?
o What Mr. Husain’s estate argue?
o What did Olympic Air argue?
o What did the court decide?
o Did the court apply statutory law, case law or both in reaching its decision?
• Use APA format for non-legal sources such as the textbook. Use Bluebook citation format for any legal citations.
o Include the resource to the case and oral arguments.
o You do not need to use any sources other than your text and the audio
recording of the oral arguments.
• Submit a Word document using the case brief template.
• Maximum two pages in length, excluding the Reference page.