Woman with children have some unique family challenges during incarceration and upon their release back into the community. In this assignment, family supports must be explored to ensure the offender has a solid support system upon reentry, and community supports, including mentorship, must be identified to provide additional support and structure for the offender during reentry into the community.
Review the “Mothers’ Reenty Into Family Life After Incarceration” article located in this week’s Electronic Reserve Readings.
Mothers’ Reentry into Family Life Following Incarceration
Joyce A. Arditti, April L. FewFirst Published March 1, 2006 Research Articlehttps://doi-org.contentproxy.phoenix.edu/10.1177/0887403405282450Article information
The experiences of a group of mothers reentering the community after a period of incarceration are explored. The authors are particularly interested in how incarceration and subsequent reentry influence mothers’ family relationships and primary risk and protective factors. Eighty-min interviews are conducted with 28 women probationers who had at least one minor child and had undergone incarceration at least 2 months prior to release. Descriptive analyses reveal that mental health risks characterize many mothers in this study, resource adequacy and parenting stress are significantly related, and family support is an important factor in successful reentry. It also appears that incarceration, even for short periods, is associated with shifts in family configuration on mothers’ release by increasing the likelihood of divorce and decreasing the likelihood that mothers will reside with the father of at least one of their biological children. Implications for intervention and directions for future research are discussed.
Respond to the following prompts, writing a minimum of 175 words per prompt:
- Identify 3 problems that can occur during the process of familial visitation with the offender prior to her release from incarceration.
- How will those problems affect the relationship between the mother and her family once she is released from incarceration?
- Analyze some ways that family member support can benefit the mother once she is released.
- How might a mother’s perception of community resources affect her motivation to obtain community resources once she reintegrates into the community?
- Identify 3 specific community supports, and share some viable strategies for connecting mothers’ with community supports.
Format any citations according to APA guidelines.